Saturday, October 6, 2007

Hurricane Homecoming


When the sun shines, we’ll shine togetherTold you I'll be here foreverSaid I'll always be a friendTook an oath I'ma stick it out till the endNow that it's raining more than everKnow that we'll still have each otherYou can stand under my umbrella
-Rhianna

Incredible. The amount of work that comes with my choices causes me to think- incredible. I work at an average sized school. With just over 1,000 students and about 120 faculty and staff members, my school should be a fun and enjoyable place. Sad to say that when I started there six years ago, the most disappointing aspect of the job was the lack of school spirit and “fun things” for kids to do. Instead of simply thumbing my nose and reflecting on my high school days, I decided to jump in and do my part.

Well, unfortunately, my part kept growing and growing. I became yearbook/newspaper/literary magazine teacher/advisor first and then took on class sponsorship. I then was asked to teach drama and coach the academic team. While I no long teach drama, I am still drama club sponsor and am responsible for the school’s one-act competition.

I can liken this past week to a hurricane. Torrents of papers to grade, gusts of student attitude up to fifty feet, and I swear I was hit with several bolts of lightening shot from various administrators and parents. The worst part is that I feel as though the storm is just gearing up to simply shift directions. I think I am in need of a tropical depression right about now.

Let me recap my week:


Wednesday- While I would have loved to be at home for my favorite night of television, I did not leave work until eight. I had play practice and Homecoming Hallway decoration planning.

Thursday- Homecoming Hallway decorations and shopping for the senior tailgate and Homecoming dance ate up this day. Afterward, I went to see a local school’s performance of Fortress. I really loved the play!

Friday- Again, we had play practice and hallway decorations and following all of that, my senior class had a tailgate for our first football game.

And today was our Homecoming Hallway Decoration day. The seniors started at 6:30 and ended at 4:00! Each class competes with Homecoming decorations, class banners, a float, spirit link sales, and a powderpuff game.

Yes, the storm rages on, but I can handle it. I teach some great kids and they have me covered with their Umbrella (shout out “07!).

I became a teacher because I love my content area and because I love helping people realize that they are infinitely larger than they realize. We have no boundaries other than those that we impose on ourselves and I guess I realize this now more than ever.

10 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness, Mr. Kirk – you truly are the best teacher I had. From what I hear, you’re the best a lot of students have had. I think students definitely care more when at least of a fraction of the faculty shows it cares. Sadly, most of the teachers I had demonstrated more than indifference towards the school and students: many of them seemed totally unlearned in their content areas. (This isn’t meanness – I remember completing word searches as part of history lessons!) If there are areas of your profession in which you don’t excel, I have no idea what they are. You are a total package of a teacher, and your current students, past students, future students and school are so fortunate to have you.

Your Favorite Teacher said...

I miss you, kid! You are priceless and what makes this so humorous is that I know that this is all so true. Wordsearches are still alive and well and still killing intellectual learning!

lydia grace said...

Mr. Kirk, I honestly do not know what I, or anyone else for that matter, would have done without you this year. You are so dedicated and compassionate, and if some feel that has burdened you in any way, then they are sadly, sadly mistaken. You're more than just a teacher, you're an inspiration to most of the students you have taught, whether they let you know or not. Please understand that everything you have done thus far in your life has more than likely never gone unnoticed or unappreciated by at least a few people, if not more. I know for a fact that the students that have become increasingly close to you in 08 could never forget you if they tried, myself included. You have impacted us in so many beneficial ways. I only wish you could see. See you tomorrow at 7:30 am!

Your Favorite Teacher said...

Lydia, of course I see.. I have no doubts about the way we impact each other! Break a leg in the morning!

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

Its a wonder you have a moment to breath. Sometimes I honestly do feel like you mold us to be hard workers, not Mini -Kirks, as some people like to refer it.(although I wouldn't mind being a mini-kirk!) When I see everyone being prolific and taking on numerous things at a time it makes me have hope for the kinds of things that they and myself will teach our children-- weather they are only students in a classroom, or if they are our own. Things in the world seem like they are declining sometimes, and its a new and freshing expirience to see people working and putting everything into something, even if it's as trivial as a homecoming hallway. Knowing that people still know how to work hard and have dedication, passion, and pride is a relief to say the least. YOU have taught us this, or if not taught, at least refined it in each of us. I see some people that wouldn't lift a finger before to help, now asking for something to do (you know the ones i mean ha) and YOU have done this-- for all of us. Thank you Mr. Kirk, the greatest teacher we will never ever forget.

Will said...

I remember hearing you call my name on the sheet and questioned my integrity for the first journalism class at Eagle's Landing. I laugh so hard thinking back about how I was a "spy" for the administrators and how I met Mr. Jacobi in the hallway after class to slip him my daily files on your and the class. I don't know where to begin with you Mr. Kirk. I hold to heart everything from staying late to finish other incompetent people's pages, all the way to your outrageous rants in class. As the book club is concerned, count me in. We're about to start a new play called "Brecht on Becht" so my time is pretty limited weekly, but shouldn't stop me from reading. You should come and see this production. I think you will find it interesting. I'll be working the one act competition, so I will see you there if not sooner. I hope everything is going well and you find happiness enriching the lives of student after student. I know you've enriched mine.

Will said...

I forgot something...

You are my Mr. Feenie from Boy Meets World!

Jameil said...

that is amazing. i love teachers. y'all are saints. however. did you just quote umbrella? perplexed and appalled wrapped in a ball. that's me.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Zack. It's Kaile. I was just taking an afternoon break from the piles of work stacked all around my new office (here at MSU) and somehow stumbled upon your blog. Your students are so lucky to have you as an English teacher. I am sure you are inspiring them to do things that they cannot yet realize. I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

Take care,
Kaile King-Minor