
Loving is an ordinary act
like running bath water
or cutting green blades of grass.
These feelings can lead to more—
a towering explosion of ice.
There are arms wrapped in lace,
and rose petals on sleeping eyes.
I am going insane with rage.
I’ll love you—
hurl myself down 1000 flights.
I’ll love you—
fling myself in great light.
I won’t let go-
pull your head underwater.
We’ll see starfish, glowfish,
and long, electric eels.
Kissing is an ordinary act
like paint peeling or blood clotting.
Ash falls after war.
It blankets what remains.
I’ll kiss you—
wash your hair, your hands, and your feet;
I’ll live for you and your low voice of love
and for you I’ll be and be and be.
Kissing is an ordinary act
like living and breathing and dying alone.
Love eats from the inside out,
taking its time to inhibit what would otherwise heal.
I’ll walk alone, never look back.
I’ll sing loudly, scream and shout.
I’ll die for you, your touch, your words.
I’ll die for you, the chance to be eaten alive,
even if it means I’ll die alone,
even if it means I’ll never heal.
Love will eat me alive.
like running bath water
or cutting green blades of grass.
These feelings can lead to more—
a towering explosion of ice.
There are arms wrapped in lace,
and rose petals on sleeping eyes.
I am going insane with rage.
I’ll love you—
hurl myself down 1000 flights.
I’ll love you—
fling myself in great light.
I won’t let go-
pull your head underwater.
We’ll see starfish, glowfish,
and long, electric eels.
Kissing is an ordinary act
like paint peeling or blood clotting.
Ash falls after war.
It blankets what remains.
I’ll kiss you—
wash your hair, your hands, and your feet;
I’ll live for you and your low voice of love
and for you I’ll be and be and be.
Kissing is an ordinary act
like living and breathing and dying alone.
Love eats from the inside out,
taking its time to inhibit what would otherwise heal.
I’ll walk alone, never look back.
I’ll sing loudly, scream and shout.
I’ll die for you, your touch, your words.
I’ll die for you, the chance to be eaten alive,
even if it means I’ll die alone,
even if it means I’ll never heal.
Love will eat me alive.

11 comments:
Wow, this is VERY powerful! I especially like the lines "Kissing is an ordinary act
like paint peeling or blood clotting.
Ash falls after war.
It blankets what remains." This is a clever and well written poem, and I like it very much.
Lauren, it is okay... I am not very good at poetry...
haha, Mr. Kirk, I'm being serious. haha.
Lauren, I am an awful poet.. I know that... please don't attempt to humour me..
What do you mean, youre not good?? I actually like this poem, and I generally dont like poetry.
L
If you say so Mr. Kirk.
Hi, Mr. Kirk! I'll resist my inclination to say anything nice about your poem. Instead I'll just say that I enjoyed it very much, which doesn't necessarily mean it was any good. I hope you have a good school year! Will and I plan to visit you soon.
Why can't you just give yourself the slightest bit of credit, Mr. Kirk?
You aren't as anti-talented as you deem yourself to be,
and that's coming from me!
haha
Mr. Kirk, I've read all your old posts already, and I'm eagerly awaiting more. I want more Kirk writing! (I read your college articles a year ago.) What about this week's geography? Have a nice weekend!
it's codie. i'm sad i am just now finding out about this. you are a wonderful poet regardless of what you think.
Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
Post a Comment