Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Passover?


This has not been the best week ever.

Last year, during the 2006-2007 academic term, I requested a transfer from my current school to a new system school. The main reason for the transfer was a desire to become department chair. While I was granted a transfer, I was not given the department chair position. The position went to a teacher with more experience. While I had more degrees, and maybe more curricular experience, I understood the decision to go with work experience.

Well, last week, I was once again denied a department chair position. My current school (my first and only school) had an opening, but the job immediately went to my co-worker and friend. While I was not informed of the reasons as to why I was not given the position, I have an idea. After careful contemplation I have learned some very valuable lessons.


Lesson One: Learn how to keep your mouth shut when drama arises.
Lesson Two: Learn who your real friends are.
Lesson Three: Learn that your boss is your boss. Support the boss’s vision or quit!
Lesson Four: Learn when its time to move on.
Lesson Five: Learn how to embrace change.

I love our new department chair. She is my friend and I am going to support her with all of my might. She was doubtful about accepting the position, but I know in my heart that she is the best person for the job at my school. The need for a peacemaker is greater than the need for what I bring to the table. The need for someone to bring the members of my department together is greater than the need for what I bring to the table. I realize this and accept this. I am still disappointed in the process and my faith in the system is shaken. The upcoming school year offers no excitement for me. I am worried about my future.

Until I learn how to move on,
-Zack Kirk

6 comments:

wiz said...

So sorry Zack. Something much better awaits you. Your skills are being squandered there... and you don't support the boss when you know in your heart he is wrong. His universe is much too small to contain you ;)

blkbutterfly said...

i know how it feels to want and be qualified for something and not get it. so, i'm sorry to hear you're not having the best week ever. i hope that you find something that invigorates you, be that at your current school or elsewhere.

Christine said...

no excitement?? what are you going to teach? nothing exciting?

(p.s.- i love sharon olds too!)

Amy Laney said...

Mr. Kirk. You are THE BEST. You are a real gift to each of your students. I hope you'll let the impact you have on your students matter as much to you as it matters to them. It means everything.

Your Favorite Teacher said...

Amy, thanks for coming by... You are right. I have put things in a better perspective now... What happened to your blog?

Beloved said...

You already know how I feel about this. Just stopping by to give you a cyber hug!

PS Are your lessons taken from The Tao of Leadership? *running*

EP